Labels

Thursday 14 April 2011

ACTIVITY 5B- SUMMER PLANS!

As I've got many months off from university during the summer holidays I am giving myself certain goals which I will do throughout the holidays such as making connections, organising my work and broadening my knowledge by reading more.

BOOKS-

1.THE DESIGN OF EVERYDAY THINGS BY DON NORMAN

This book  interests me as it reveals how smart design of everyday things is a powerful indication on how and why some products satisfy customers while others only frustrate people.
 I feel that this could help me in the future when designing interior spaces as I need to think more about what the client requires and how to design something that will fulfil their needs and wants. Whilst designing something functional and of good design.



2.BLINK: THE POWER OF THINKING WITHOUT THINKING BY MALCOLM GLADWELL

After reading 'The Tipping Point' by Malcolm Gladwell last semester I am going to read this book as I was inspired and interested in his other book. This will definitely be a book which I will read while lounging around on holiday.

This book is about the power of the sub-conscious mind and how decisions made very quickly almost by what your instincts tell you can be as good as taking ages to decide on something.





3.THE TEN FACES OF INNOVATION: STRATEGIES FOR HEIGHTENING CREATIVITY BY TOM KELLEY

Throughout second year and probably into my working life,  team work will play a big part in what I do. This book explains how both creativity and business innovation is needed in every business. It also highlights the different stages in which people play to get a better and faster result.



4.FASCINATE: YOUR 7 TRIGGERS TO PERSUASION AND CAPTIVATION BY SALL HOGSHEAD

What triggers fascination and how do companies, people and ideas put those triggers to use? This book explains how our fascination shapes our ideas, opinions and relationships and how to use this to our advantage.

I feel that this may help me in the future to understand and use  in a working situation.






5.THE LAYOUT LOOK BOOK BY CHRISTIAN CAMPOS

This book looks at different layout techniques that could be used for any design background from professionals to amateurs at any time in the design process.

Presentation boards are a huge part of my course at the moment and I feel that this book would help me understand how to layout my presentations better it could also maybe help thinking about how the layout of certain interiors could be achieved to a better level.


BLOG-

1.During the holidays I will create a delicious account. This will help me to organise all my bookmarks on the web so that I am able to find what I am looking for quicker and easier. As I use both a laptop and Imac this will be very beneficial to me as sometimes I'm unsure of where my bookmarked stuff is.

2. I will also join Twitter. I feel that this would be a good way to make connections with people from design backgrounds such as interior designers and architects.


3. Blog more about interesting design / architecture. I feel that recently with the end of a huge project looming I have been unable to blog as much as I would have liked so in the holidays I will read more articles to do with design and things which interest me.

4. As I have hardly changed my blog layout I will also do this in the summer to give it a fresh and more interesting display.

5. Lastly I will sort out my tags on my blog so that they are easy to read and more organised for both me and the viewer.


CONNECTIONS-

1. LORIN EDGAR

After my gap year to South Africa I have slowly lost contact with Lorin who I worked beside as an art teacher for 8 months. She was a very inspirational and interesting character so I hope by emailing her that I will be able to stay in contact with her again and find out what she is doing as I haven't spoken to her in around 4 years.

2. GAIL KELLY

Gail is an undergraduate graphic designer who used to attend DOJCAD. She is currently working in Glasgow as a Graphic Designer I will hopefully meet up with her in the holidays for a chat.

3. LEILA KALBASSI

Leila is the scenic artist at the REP theatre in Dundee. After doing work experience with her 2 years ago I am still interested in this field so will maybe try to contact her through email to see if she has any work experience over the holidays.

4. BLACK ANDREW DESIGN LTD.

5. BATTLEDOWN STUDIO NATURAL ARCHITECTURE

As the holidays are fast approaching I am wanting to get some work experience under my belt so I am hoping to contact different architecture firms (such as the ones above) to ask for work experience. Mainly I will be writing to them even if i get one acceptance then I will gain more knowledge in my field of work.  



No comments:

Post a Comment