Labels

Thursday 25 November 2010

SOUTH AFRICA

After leaving school in 2006, at the age of 18 I travelled to Johannesburg in South Africa for 8 months. During this time I taught children between the ages of 7-14 art. In my spare time I used to meet up with one of the other teachers and paint and draw different african scenes.






 South Africa for me was a very inspirational place- full of colour and culture. It was such a huge leap for me to go from a very secure, ordinary day to day student life to becoming a teacher and living in a place that didn't seem the safest and without any recognisable faces around. During my time I travelled around the coast of South Africa back packing and went on safari.  Looking back on this experience I'm so glad I had this time to grow up, become independant and learn about the world. You can only learn so much from books but by far the biggest learning experience is when you have to imbrace a different culture and way of life.

ABOVE- My art classroom!


ABOVE- The school I taught in :)

ABOVE- Drumming class, when I first arrived in S.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment